4pawsGSD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saying goodby to an old friend

Go down

Saying goodby to an old friend Empty Saying goodby to an old friend

Post  melanie Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Melanie Beard,

Today I want to tell you about a very special dog named Doodle.

Veterinarians treat hundreds, possibly thousands of dogs over the years - but sometimes one particular dog will really touch your heart. For me, that dog was Doodle.

There was something about Doodle that people just couldn't resist. He was a beautiful mixed breed with a vibrant, happy nature. Doodle loved people and they loved him. He was great with kids and very protective of his owners, a very nice couple that had cared for him since they rescued him as a puppy. Unlike many dogs, Doodle was not scared of nervous about coming into the clinic. In fact, I think he actually LIKED it. I know we sure liked seeing him! Each time his owners brought him in for a check-up, Doodle would wag his tail excitedly and wait to be petted. Then he would hop right up on the table and wait for me. He was very well behaved and such a good dog.

A couple of days ago, Doodle's owners brought him into the clinic, but he wasn't his usual vibrant, happy self. He appeared tired and weak. He didn't wag his tail or hop up on the table - we had to pick him up. I knew immediately that this wasn't going to be good.

We ran some tests and discovered that Doodle had cancer - the kind that is untreatable. Doodle had to be in constant pain. I discussed the situation with his owners and we all agreed that the best thing to do would be to put Doodle down. It was the humane thing to do.

Euthanizing an animal is never easy, but this time it was harder than ever before. Doodle had been my patient for years. When I would see his name in the appointment book I was always excited and anxious to see him. My staff and I cared for him and boarded him when his owners went away. He was such a special dog - we all loved Doodle.

Doodle had to be euthanized and his owners were devastated. So was I. It was so hard that we all cried. We did. It's so hard to say goodbye to such a special friend. I will really miss him.

Euthanizing pets is never easy. How could it be? It is hard enough to euthanize a pet when they are dying and there's nothing you can do, but it's even harder when you have to euthanize a pet that could actually be saved.

The number one reason we euthanize pets is because they are sick and have an untreatable disease. This is always hard, but it is the humane thing to do.

The second most common reason we euthanize pets is because their owners cannot afford to treat them. This is always the hardest - for the owners and the veterinary team.

Keep a nest egg for unexpected pet expenses and be prepared. You should have a special savings account or a credit card that could cover your pet's medical expenses, or get pet insurance. Please don't be in a situation where you can't do what you want to do for your pet because of money.

Doodle couldn't be saved, but many dogs can be. If your dog had a treatable condition, of course you'd want to give him the best possible care. But if an unplanned expense of $1,000, $2,000 or $5,000 would be outside of your abilities, then you may not be able to do it. I urge you to think about pet insurance. You never know, it could save your dog's life one day. Get a free quote today. Go to: petinsurance.com.

Until next time,

Dr. Jon
melanie
melanie

http://www.sprayartist.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum